Hey there, ZZ plant lovers! Are you thinking about adding a ZZ plant to your collection but are worried about its impact on your furry little friends?
Well, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll be diving deep into the debate on whether or not ZZ plants are pet-friendly. Buckle up, folks, ’cause this is gonna be one wild ride.
The Basics of ZZ Plants
Unlike other plants ZZ plants are known for their thick, glossy leaves and their ability to thrive in low light conditions.
They’re also pretty low maintenance, making them a popular choice among plant newbies and busy plant parents alike.
Are ZZ Plants Poisonous to Pets?
Now, on to the question at hand: are ZZ plants poisonous to pets? The short answer is, it depends.
According to the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), ZZ plants are considered to be non-toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. However, it’s worth noting that if your pet ingests a large amount of the plant, it could cause some stomach upset.
But, here’s the catch: some sources state that ZZ plants contain small amounts of calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation in the mouth and throat if ingested. So it’s always better to be safe than sorry and keep your plants out of reach of your pets, just in case.
Symptoms to Watch Out For
If you suspect that your pet has ingested a ZZ plant, here are a few symptoms to look out for:
- Difficulty swallowing
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
If your pet is showing any of these symptoms, it’s best to contact your vet immediately.
The Bottom Line
The bottom line is that ZZ plants are generally considered to be non-toxic to pets. But you know as always, it’s always a good idea to err on the side of caution and keep your plants out of reach of your furry friends.
If you’re still unsure, it’s best to consult with your vet before bringing a ZZ plant into your home.
ZZ plants aren’t the most dangerous plants out there, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to our furry friends.